The Internet is full of different social media platforms, and it might be daunting to decide which one to use for your business. The first step is to identify your target audience, which consists of your existing customers and potential customers. Start by looking through your existing customers, which age group they fall in? Young adults, middle age, all age groups? This is important when deciding a social platform because different age groups use different platforms. Also, think of what type of content you want to put on your social media platform. If your business makes physical objects that are easy to photograph and make visual, it might be wise to use a lot of pictures, because we humans are visual beings. Once you have a clear view of who you are targeting it is time to choose. Remember to check each platforms terms and condition for businesses before starting to avoid issues. Some of the most common social media platforms include:
- Facebook is considered as one of the most popular social media sites for businesses. Facebook has a very wide audience (including adults over 65) which makes it the perfect platform for businesses targeting all age groups.
- Twitter is another very popular platform, and it is extremely popular especially among millennials and younger audience.
- Google+ and Google itself is widely used and has multiple options, one of which is Youtube. Making Youtube videos and posting them also to other social media platforms can be a very effective method. Google+ is also considered the best platform if your target is to increase your business's search engine optimization (SEO).
- Instagram is a platform for the younger audience but also adults under 35. As it is a picture platform, posting images of your products and business works well in fields where showing visually what you are offering matters.
- Pinterest is another visual platform that can work phenomenally for an audience of a female between 30 and 50 years, in a higher income class.
Here we have just a few of the most popular once, feel free to browse other options to find the social media platform that is the best option for your business and the target audience you are trying to reach. Remember that social media is all about reaching your audience and being customer friendly and approachable, so think carefully about what you post. A good campaign does miracles but a bad one can harm your business for a long time since nothing disappears from the internet.